Thursday, July 20, 2017

Let's Talk Food

A while ago, I shared a post titled 20 Trendy Restaurants: Overrated to Underrated, where I shared some of my personal opinions on trendy restaurants in NYC. I labeled Hillstone as the most underrated restaurant in the city. Hillstone has a "sister restaurant" called Houston's located in Hackensack, NJ in Bergen County, right near where I grew up. Hillstone and Houston's have almost identical menus and the food tastes amazing at both places. I've been going to Houston's with my family ever since I was a little girl and it's my favorite restaurant in the entire world. That being said, I decided to reach out to the manager, Jim, and finally get to talk to the man in charge of the NJ location I love so much. I conducted an interview to hear his thoughts on the one restaurant that I rave about to everyone! Here are some of the questions I asked and the responses he shared with me:

Q: Would you consider Houston's to be a "trendy" restaurant, at least in the Bergen County area?
A: I think that what's great about Houston's is that it really is not a place that's hot for a while and then the excitement dies down. It's a classic place that a lot of people, and not just from Bergen County but from everywhere, have been coming for years and they come back because they enjoy the food and the atmosphere, not because it's a trendy establishment.

Q: What would you say is the most popular item on the menu?
A: I'd say a lot of people enjoy our spinach dip.


Q: Are there any secret items that aren't on the menu that regular customers are aware of but new ones may not be?
A: Actually, yes! We prepare a cheesy bread that many people ask for but it's not written on the menu. I wouldn't say it's a secret item though. It's something that our waiters and waitresses often suggest to customers because it's so delicious.

Q: I know my favorite item on the menu is the veggie burger, it's amazing. What's your's?
A: I'd have to say I'm a big fan of the Thai Steak & Noodle Salad, but the Hawaiian Rib-Eye is also classic.

Q: I'm aware that the menu changes by season, but how do you decide what items stay and what items go?
A: We keep all of the originals on the menu, the burgers, steaks, poultry items, the spinach dip. It's really just the vegetables specifically that change depending on what's in season at the time. We also switch it up with new soups of the day sometimes.

Q: Last question. The Hillstone chain in Manhattan serves sushi. Do you think they would ever consider serving it at this location?
A: The restaurant has been open for years and we still haven't started serving it so I don't think we ever will.

Hearing Jim's responses were so fun because I definitely agree with him. The spinach dip is the BEST and the Hawaiian Rib-Eye is everybody's favorite too. I think the best thing that came out of this interview is that I'm now aware of the "secret" cheesy bread and I'm currently on my way to go get some! If you've never been to Houston's or Hillstone, go and enjoy as soon as possible. Until next time guys!




No comments:

Post a Comment